Monday, March 12, 2012

Owing My Own Business

I have always wanted to own my own business.  I contemplated accounting, but that seems too boring and not at all easy to do with little ones running around.  I tried daycare, but that wasn't ideal either...long hours with little pay.  Currently, I am very interested in cloth diapers.  I have thought about starting my own retail store, but the start-up costs are way too high.  My latest thought is a cloth diaper service...delivering fresh clean fluffy diapers to clients each week.

There are not any services in the Lafayette area.  I have heard that there is one in Indianapolis that will service this area.  I just wonder if the population is large enough in Lafayette/ West Lafayette, Indiana for a cloth diaper service.  There would still be some start up costs, but not nearly as much as a retail business.  I could expand into a retail with a store front later. 

Any thoughts??  

2 comments:

  1. Try putting out some ads or something requesting if there is need for it. I personally think a cloth diaper service is weird as one of the benefits of cloth diapers is to save money and a diaper service takes that away. But I really am not sure about it.

    A retail store could be cool. You could start with very few things. The girl that runs Abbys Lane started with enough product that filled a bookshelf and then branched out from there. You would just want to stock necessities and not every diaper out there until you get going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually based on the information I have gathered, you can still save money by using a cloth diaper service...just not as much as if you do it yourself. I think the largest customer base would be those who are environmentally conscience rather than financial.

      Delete